- Gas, bloating,heartburn, digestive problems
- Alternating periods of diarrhea and constipation
- Frequent skin rashes of unknown origin that are unresponsive to conventional therapy
- Mood swings, feelings of anxiety,a "spaced-out" feeling commonly referred to as "brain fog"
- Muscle and joint pains that seems to have no identifiable cause
- Pains in the chest, shortness of breath, dizziness
- Frequent infections, colds or flu that take a long time to resolve
- Particular sensitivity to tobacco smoke, perfumes or cleaning chemicals
- For women-frequent vaginal yeast infections, infertility, increased premenstrual symptoms and painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
- For men-chronic prostate infection
If you had one or combination of the aboved, then you might suffer from a syndrome that may be never heard by a medical doctor but very well known among holistic practitioners-"leaky gut syndrome". It is caused by a fungus-candida albicans
What is Candida Albicans?
It is a single-celled organism that is part of the plant kingdom.This yeast is unique because it can act both as a bacterium and a fungus. In a healthy intestine, it exist as single cell form, called a "bud". When the intestinal environment changes, the buds transform themselves into a filiform shape that allows penetration of the intestinal wall, with resulting colonization over the entire body. It is therefore very IMPORTANT to keep the candida transformation and the candida growth controlled by the presence of important bacteria such as Bacillus laterosporus BOD and the Lactobacillus Acidophilus, two very important beneficial intestinal bacteria
What does candida use for food?
As food passes through the stomach into the intestine, carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars, which become the primary energy source for the body. The candida yeast robs the body of its primary energy source-sugar. candida also feeds on B vitamins to accelerate its growth. In this sense Candida actually be considered a parasite, feeding off the host's food supply. Hypoglycaemia, low blood sugar, a common problem associated with a chronic candida infestation, may be caused by the depletion of sugar and other nutrients from the intestinal tract by candida. with our today's average diet high in sugar and fat, candida finds an ample food supply to fuel its growth.
Furthermore, processed food in our diet removes much of the substances that support the growth of friendly bacteria. when depleted in numbers, Lactobacilli and Bacillus laterosporus BOD cannot inhibit the growth of candida
What is "leaky gut" syndrome?
When candida is allowed to change into the filiform (mycelia) state, branches of the yeast pierce the lining of the intestine, significantly disturbing its integrity. The ensuing inflammatory process allows the free passage of micro-organisms, including candida and TOXINS into the blood stream.This process is referred to as "leaky gut syndrome", resulting in decreased resistance to viral and bacterial infection, and increased infestation by other parasitic forms.Low energy,allergies, headache, "brain fog", arthritis, abdominal bloating, vaginitis and thrush are all associated with "leaky gut syndrome"
Factors that can lead to candida infestations
- antibiotic therapy, esp if longer than two weeks or multiple rounds
- use of birth control pills
- long term usage of steroids
- diets high in refined sugars and fats, or processed food in general
- exposure to molds, fungus or yeast such as exist in old attics, basements, certain libraries and post offices
- a diet which include feremnted foods (beer, vinegar,wine, pickled foods) or breads that contain yeasts may induce cross allergic reactions with candida albicans
- chronic stress-the role of stress is particularly important
How to combat Candida Overgrowth
- Starve the yeast!.The best approach is to limit the intake of candida's favourite foods-carbohydrates (pasta, bread, rice) and fermented foods.
-eliminate all the foods to which you are allergic
-no breads, in particular yeast-risen breads.
-no dairy products
-NO sugar in any forms, including sucrose, fructose, any fruit juice, honey etc
-avoid mushrooms, vinegar, wine, champagne or anything else that is fermented
-limit tea, coffee and sodas
- Garlic-a natural anti-microbial and anti-mycotic (anti-yeast) agent. Three capsules of deodorized garlic twice a day may help relieve gas and bloating
- Probiotic-Bacillus laterosporus BOD is a single,very effective probiotic to kill candida. Lactobacillus acidophillus and bifidus may be added to recolonise the intestine
The 3 month candida elimination program
-Use Bacillus laterosporus BOD
-For the first two months, take 2 capsules daily on empty stomach upon arising in the morning, at least 20 min before ingesting any substance
-For the third month take 1 capsule daily in the morning
-It is important to drink at leat 8 glasses of water daily, to assist in the removal of toxins that will accumulate as a result of killing the candida.
Serafina Corsello, MD and James gallup, DC. Bacillus Laterosporus BOD-The Revolutionary New Natural Approach to Control Candida and Yeast Infections.Healing Wisdom Publications, 2003
-available in our holistic health store-